Tuesday 12 July 2011

Oranges aren't the only fruit.

Legals:

For the sake of anonymity the following tale of customer woes contains no direct reference to the telecommunications brand in question.  They will herein only be referred to as 'The Fruity One'.

I recently came to the end of my mobile contract with 'The Fruity One'.  I have been with 'The Fruity One' for three and a half years.  I have never fussed, never complained.  I have never lost my phone.  I have never called the helpline.  Barely set foot in one of their stores.  Always paid my bill on time.

"Surely", I thought to myself, "I must be one of their highly valued customers?"

"Surely", I wondered in my naive state of customer delusion, "I must be eligible for a competitive renewal offer?"

Nope.

According to my online account, if I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone 4 it would mean increasing my bill to £35 a month.  Quite expensive, but it's an iPhone 4, so I wasn't too surprised.  What did shock me however, was the upfront handset cost.

£600.

That's right.  £600.

Yeeaah...I'm out.

Why make it so difficult for me to get a good deal on an upgrade?  Why play 'the game' and risk my leaving?  Why not offer me a great deal upfront, to ensure I don't even consider whether the other side is greener (and more importantly, cheaper)?

I'm taking my plums elsewhere.

How do you like dem apples?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment