Wednesday 9 May 2012

The Big Boys Do Direct Mail Part 1

We asked our CEO and Creative Director to cast their busy yet experienced eyes over some recent Direct Mail work. Here's what we eventually got out of them. First up, our CEO Steve Grout:

I get less DM these days, as clients seem to be reducing spend on cold DM - most of the packs I get seem to be reactivation or warm mailings. Any cold DM is mostly charity based (as I find myself fast approaching a worrying new demographic).

The Football Pools
 
I used to play the pools as a result of my family always playing the weekly collector. I cancelled about a year ago and now get sent regular reactivation messages. The phone calls I get are good - Liverpudlians who know the product, actually chat to me rather than read a script and call back when they're supposed to.
I seem to be getting the same win-back pack each time. It's a traditional DM with all the tricks of the trade you'd expect - dreamy holiday photos, big cash amounts and Harry Redknapp handing over a giant cheque. Despite it being 'non-creative' I like it for what it is. It's cheesy but I'm sure it does the job.



BA Wine Club

I like wine, so I'm already a warm contact - but I seem to have stepped back in time opening this mailer. It looks exactly like the packs I worked on 20 years ago! A one-piece, fold-up, newsletter-style mailer with a seasonal collection offer, lift leaflets, vouchers and free wine glasses - all the classics.
I'm sure there's some smart targeting going on in the pack, but there's nothing obviously personalising it or giving me a reason to engage.
20 years of the same approach must mean it's still working, but somehow I just wish that other ideas were being effectively trialled. Perhaps it looks new to younger recipients - or perhaps it's an incredibly clever retro approach to marketing that I'm just not getting.



BMW Service

A nice simple service message on a one-piece mailer (with a good deal and a nice limited MOT offer) obviously based on a trigger data programme. Unfortunately, it's based on the car I sold over two years ago, and they've been servicing the replacement ever since.
They can't have any hope of maintaining a relationship with me when they don't even know what car I own (or which one they service now)?



BMW Mini

I like letters. Most people like nicely written letters that are just for them. Unfortunately this isn't one of those.
We replaced our Mini about a year ago, so I also got a letter offering me another nearly new Mini. I just can't see the sense in sending me a letter trying to sell me a nearly new Mini when I leased a NEW one from them last year. Not only that but the letter is also pretty patronising (explaining just what a nearly new car is).
Poor all round.

Kwik-Fit

This Kwik-Fit mailer works. Although I don't like the forced wallet-look as an outer, once you open it it has nice simple pieces (including a discount card you can put in your real wallet). It's well targeted (mentioning my actual car) and has a really strong offer.
I feel this is a nice example of getting the data, print and production team involved early in the briefing - making it both relevant and practical. I reckon this format will work really well at driving people to store.


No comments:

Post a Comment