Monday 15 October 2012

Why am I doing this?

Can you remember the last time you thought to yourself, "What the hell am I doing? This is stupid. How did I end up here?"

No?

I can.

It was on Sunday 7th October, at approximately 10:17am. Let me explain.

Over the last year we've been fortunate enough to work with an amazing little charity called Tommy's. The wonderful charity offers help and support during pregnancy and funds research that attempts to understand and prevent birth complications. We've helped them understand more about their donor base and how their previous fundraising strategies have defined their existing base. We've also created two highly emotive and impactful creative concepts for them to roll out.

But this isn't about all that.

This is about the Royal Parks Half Marathon that the team at Tommy's so kindly introduced TBCH to. As a 'thank you' for the work we'd done with them, Tommy's gave us the opportunity to assemble a crack team of Claydon Heeley 'athletes' (in the flimsiest sense of the word) to run this iconic race.

13.1 miles through some of the most scenic parks in London. Lovely. Joyous. Idyllic.

Painful.

So it was that at 10:17am last Sunday I found myself seven miles into the half marathon, along with 11 other members of Claydon's Heels - 11 other people who are as easily persuaded to do daft things as I am. For the more mathematically astute of you, you'll have already noted that at 7.5 miles I was just over half way - another 6.1 miles lay in front of me. And it was here that I thought, "What the hell am I doing? This is stupid. How did I end up here?"

But despite the pain and the seemingly endless, weaving circuit, we managed to fight the urge to give up. 12 Claydon's Heels were at the start line, 12 Claydon's Heels crossed the finish line. What more could you ask for?

So well done our team. And from all of us, a big thank you to all those who supported us with donations; to Nicola for her excellent Race Night and scrummy Tommy's Tuck Shop; to Kate 'The Bake' for her marathon cake-fest.

We've raised nearly £4,000 for a fantastic cause. It was worth it.

But never again.

(Until the next one).


Top: Jerry, Bec, Richie, Ali, Alex, Steve
Bottom: Muz, Lauren, Eve, Rebecca


Ali Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment