Wednesday 7 November 2012

Will you?

Last Friday, I made a Will and signed my life (well, my death) away.

It wasn't the cheeriest experience in the world. I had to think about what would happen if I died before my wife. If she died before me. And who would look after our son if we both carked it.

But one thing made me smile. I was doing it for a good cause. 

Will Aid is a scheme where, every November, participating solicitors give up their time to draw up your Will.

Instead of paying them, you make a donation to Will Aid, which goes towards a number of deserving charities.

It's a lovely idea that benefits everyone: charities get donations; solicitors get good PR along with extra clients; and people like me get peace of mind.

Which made me think. At a time when big business is being pilloried for failing to give back to the community, could this model work in other areas?

Would investors be more likely to open a trading account with you if they knew their first month's fees went to Samaritans? Or how about an option that offered a month of free eye tests, with donations going to glaucoma research?

At first glance, it may not look like it's good for business.

But your business will look good. 


Chris Myers





No comments:

Post a Comment